Today I also had a chance to speak with Christine Nagaye, an army veteran, medic, and police sergeant who is one of the five candidates running for Santa Clara County Sheriff. This is the first election for sheriff in our county in 20 years. Some of highlights from my talk with Christine was :
* Christine started running because of recent current events boiled over in 2020 with the protests and unrest after the George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Eric Salciches (spelling needs verification).
* Christine supports transparency between the public and the police and hopes to end encrypted messages preventing access to police radio dispatches.
* Christine supports more body warn cameras and support for mental health among inmates.
* Christine thinks that high school students should become more involved in local politics because when they turn 18 they have a right to vote which they should exercise.
* Christine believes that a quality education for everyone is the solution to ending the cycle of crime and recidivism, which means going to jail multiple times.
Here is the video interview today with Sergeant Nagaye: